Geolocation Support & Location Verification
So what is geolocation and how does it work? Geolocation is the method Borgata Sports, Casino & Poker use to ensure you are in New Jersey, where playing online casino and poker games is safe and legal. It’s a positioning system that is used to determine a player’s estimated coordinates by tracking IP address and triangulating WiFi signal. State regulations require us to do this when you first connect, and occasionally during game play.
If you are having some trouble getting your location verified, here are some tips to help solve the problem:
1. If you are attempting to access our software from your desktop, please run the plug-in when prompted to download the GeoComply software.
2. If you are attempting to access our software from a Mac desktop, you may need to open your settings, open the Player Location Check settings, and restart the check a few times before logging in.
3. Make sure you can detect Wi-Fi signals. There is no need to be connected to a wireless network, the Wi-Fi only needs to be turned ON. If your desktop PC is older and cannot connect wirelessly to the Internet or detect other nearby signals, a Wi-Fi USB adapter might be helpful.
4. Some software programs installed on your PC or Mac will conflict with the geolocation process. Virtual Private Network (VPN), Virtual Network Client (VNC) or Remote Desktop software will cause the geolocation checks to fail. Please ensure these types of programs are not running when you try to play: Log Me In, TigerVNC, Team Viewer, Apple VNC (Mac), GoToMeeting, Apple Remote Mgmt (Mac), and Splashtop.
5. If you are playing from a remote location or near the ocean, there may not be enough Wi-Fi signals to properly confirm your location, so you may not be able to play.
6. If you are playing near a state border, your location will be checked more frequently to verify you are still in the state of New Jersey.
7. If you have a new router or device, it can take a few days for that device to propagate and be recognized.
8. Your Internet Service Provider may be assigning you an IP address that is outside of New Jersey. If so, please contact your provider to change it to New Jersey.
Still having trouble verifying your location or have additional questions about Geolocation? Feel free to call us at 877-448-5833.